Sunday, October 8, 2017

Interview with Alison Clarke, Traveling Different Worlds

Alison Clarke is a young adult fantasy author of The Sisterhood Series. Book One, The Sisterhood, won 2016 Writer Of The Year by Diversity magazine. Book Two, Racine, which just came out on July 1, has already been nominated for Book Of The Year.
Website: www.realmofwyrniverdon2.com
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/Alison-Clarke-749948061789271/
Twitter: @mythologist200
Instagram:  https://instagram.com/monetlover200

Why did you choose to write in your particular field or genre?  If you write more than one, how do you balance them?
I enjoy fantasy because I like creating different worlds. I don’t think about balancing, in terms of genres, because I think that emphasis will manifest organically.

Where did your love of books/storytelling/reading/writing/etc. come from?
They came from my love for libraries.

How long have you been writing?
I’ve been writing since grade six. 

What kind(s) of writing do you do?
I write young adult fantasy, but I also write poetry.

What cultural value do you see in writing/reading/storytelling/etc.?
Storytelling is an engine for empathy, and through walking in someone else’s shoes, we get a better understanding of what that person is going through.
It helps people to see that we have a shared humanity, that we should be more united than divided.

What do you think most characterizes your writing?
Fantastical elements, vivid imagery, and a poetic element to the writing, as I’m also a poet.

What was the hardest part of writing a book? 
Finding the time.

What did you enjoy most about writing a book?
Creating different worlds.

What inspires you? 
Going out for walks, nature.

What do you like to read in your free time?
I’ll read anything--from biographies, art books, books of poetry, and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment